This post is intended for use with the Maltese Democracy walking tour and smart learning activities.
Palazzo Ferreria is the second biggest private family palace in the city after the President’s Palace and was built on the site of the former foundry of the Knights where armaments were manufactured and from which the name is derived. The building site was acquired from the government by Giuseppe Buttigieg and Giovanna Camilleri, both very wealthy, and they erected Palazzo Ferreria in the late 1800s – with the best skilled workmanship on the island.
The coat of arms of both surnames Buttiegieg and Camilleri are on the façade of the palace on Republic Street, Valletta. The palace was left to their daughter Teresa who married Col. John Louis Francia, a Spanish citizen from Gibraltar., who was here with the British army. The Palace was used and lived in by the family employing an in-house staff of around 25 persons until 1947.
In 1947 Valletta had been practically destroyed by World War II and the Labour government needed to rent the palace for the Public Works Department, to restore the city from the war ruins. The Francia family accepted the needs of the government and leased it for a good rent, while keeping the best part of the palace as an apartment.
In 1979 the palace was sold by the Francia family to the government by an amicable special agreement to pay a tax settlement on all the Francia estates for death and duties purposes.
– Times of Malta article
– Wikipedia Sette Giugno
– Featured Image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Palazzo_Buttigieg-Francia_02.jpg